Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Three Month Rule


I was having coffee with a friend when the "Three Month Rule" was brought up. I have just coped up with a recent break up and is currently "looking but not yet engaging". Me and my ex broke up our 3 year relationship August 16 of  this year and next week will be the third month of me being single. The so called "three month rule" was popularized by John Lloyd and Bea's movie "One More Chance" which I honestly haven't seen but will be more than happy to watch it if somebody will lend me a DVD. The movie centers around the pains of a break up and apparently also showcases this rule where you cannot engage in any other relationship until the third month. Others say you still have a good chance to get back together within the 3 months of you being apart. Is this true? Should everyone abide to this rule? My honest opinion to this is maybe there is a little bit of logic behind it but I most certainly won't be confined by it. Right after the breakup I set my self a personal goal to not get into any relationship until next year. Why? Because I want to give my self some time to recuperate and rediscover my self.

I can say right now, I am okay. A week before the third month I can honestly say I am ready to face the world. Maybe generally it takes three months to recover from a breakup or heal a broken heart. Maybe it's true that it takes three whole months BUT should we base things on the months rather than what you really feel inside? Is it a certainty that any relationship born inside the three month break will not succeed or flourish? In contrast, is it for certain that you and your ex cannot be back together after the three months? Life is too complicated to confine in rules or irrationality. One thing I like about it is it gives people something to look forward to, that after 3 months everything will be okay. As for me I will celebrate this 3 months of being single... the only way I know how... drinking beer with my friends!

4 comments:

  1. ganda :)
    my bf and i just broked up yesterday :(
    i understand what you are feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. I'm sorry to hear that though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's okay. i was now learning to live on my own. and it's really hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like any bird with a broken wing, it's gonna take a while before you can get used to the pain. And it will take an extra effort to spread it out again and set yourself free.

    ReplyDelete